Saturday, September 20, 2008

My first trip to Yankee Stadium

"The House That Ruth Built"

I've been a Yankee fan for over ten years now and I had not been to Yankee Stadium until Wednesday. I decided a month earlier to go see a Yankee game since I had never been to one before and to see Yankee Stadium up close and personal before it closes down. As you Yankee and baseball fans know, the current Yankee stadium will be demolished after the season ends and the Yankees will move into the new stadium next year. The current stadium was opened in 1923 and renovated in 1974. Yankee Stadium or "The House That Ruth Built" has hosted World Series Championships, boxing matches, football games, and religious gatherings. It has had many moments like Lou Gehrig's infamous farewell speech in 1939, "The greatest game ever played" between the New York Giants and Baltimore Colts in the NFL championship in 1958, and Muhammad Ali defending his heavyweight crown against Ken Norton in 1976. These great moments have given Yankee Stadium its mystique and aura unlike any other stadium in the world. When I stepped into Yankee Stadium on Wednesday, September 17, 2008, I felt that mystique and aura and was in awe of it. Everything about the stadium is fantastic - the seats, the field, the dimensions and asymmetry of the stadium, Monument park. It was surreal. I couldn't believe I was in Yankee Stadium. It was like a dream, but it wasn't. I had a great view of the field from where I was sitting. I sat in in the tier level in the upper deck section. I always thought the Upper deck was very high up because that's what it looks like on television. But in person, upper deck is high, but it isn't as high as I thought it was. I saw the game clearly from where I sat. I had some trouble figuring out some of the pitchers during later innings, but it didn't really matter. I enjoyed myself at the game and ate a Jumbo pretzel and drank a large cup of Sprite soda. I witnessed the Yankees beat the Chicago White Sox 5-1. It was a good game and I will never forget it. I had the chance to see the stadium where legends like Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, and Mickey Mantle played. And I had the chance to see my Yankees win. I will always cherish that memory of my first trip to Yankee Stadium. Go Yankees 2009!

My first Yankee game ticket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home